dailysylheter somoy

September 21, 2024

Death toll from Israeli airstrike on Beirut suburb rises to 31

Death toll from Israeli airstrike on Beirut suburb rises to 31

nternational Desk News :: Lebanon’s health minister said on Saturday the death toll from an Israeli airstrike on a Beirut suburb the day before has risen to 31, including seven women and three children.

Firass Abiad told reporters that 68 people were also wounded of whom 15 remain in hospital, in the deadliest Israeli airstrike on Beirut since the summer 2006 Israel-Hezbollah war.

The casualties included Ibrahim Akil, a Hezbollah commander who was in charge of the group’s elite Radwan Forces, as well as about a dozen members of the militant group who were meeting in the basement of the building that was destroyed. Three Syrian nationals were among the dead, Abiad said.

Late Friday, the Israeli military said the strike killed 11 Hezbollah operatives, including Akil.

Israel launched the rare airstrike in the densely populated southern Beirut neighborhood on Friday afternoon during rush hour as people returned home from work and students from schools. On Saturday morning, Hezbollah’s media office took journalists on a tour of the scene of the airstrike where workers were still digging through the rubble.

Lebanese troops cordoned off the area preventing people from reaching the building that was knocked down as members of the Lebanese Red Cross stood nearby to take any recovered body from under the rubble.

Friday’s deadly strike came hours after Hezbollah launched one of its most intense bombardments of northern Israel in nearly a year of fighting, largely targeting Israeli military sites. Israel’s Iron Dome missile defense system intercepted most of the Katyusha rockets.

The militant group said its latest wave of rocket salvos was a response to past Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon. However, it came days after mass explosions of Hezbollah pagers and walkie-talkies killed at least 37 people — including two children. Some 2,900 others were wounded in the assault which has been widely attributed to Israel.

Israel has neither confirmed nor denied involvement in the attack which marked a major escalation in the past 11 months of simmering conflict along the Israel-Lebanon border.

Israel and Hezbollah have traded fire regularly since Hamas’ Oct. 7 assault on southern Israel ignited the Israeli military’s devastating offensive in Gaza. But previous cross-border attacks have largely struck areas in northern Israel that had been evacuated and less-populated parts of southern Lebanon.

Earlier this week, Israel’s security cabinet said stopping Hezbollah’s attacks in the country’s north to allow residents to return to their homes is now an official war goal, as it considers a wider military operation in Lebanon that could spark an all-out conflict.

The tit-for-tat strikes have forced tens of thousands of people to evacuate their homes in both southern Lebanon and northern Israel.


Latest News

Clash erupts between Dhaka college, City College students again

Clash erupts between Dhaka college, City College students again

News Desk :: Students from Dhaka College and City College once again clashed in the capital’s Science Lab area on

Morocco volunteers on Sahara clean-up mission

Morocco volunteers on Sahara clean-up mission

News Desk :: TIn southern Morocco, volunteers are hunting for waste embedded in the sand, and they don’t have to

BNP holds third meeting with National Consensus Commission

BNP holds third meeting with National Consensus Commission

News Desk :: The third round of talks between the BNP delegation and the National Consensus Commission is currently taking

CA arrives in Doha to join Earthna Summit

CA arrives in Doha to join Earthna Summit

News Desk :: Bangladesh Ambassador to Qatar Md Nazrul Islam received Prof Yunus upon his arrival at Hamad International Airport

Gold prices hit record high of Tk 1.72 lakh per bhori

Gold prices hit record high of Tk 1.72 lakh per bhori

News Desk ::In yet another price hike within just two days, the Bangladesh Jewellers Association (BAJUS) has announced a new

Caseworker Mohammad Abbas Khan claims Rahima Khan is a fraudster

Caseworker Mohammad Abbas Khan claims Rahima Khan is a fraudster

He claims that false and conspiratorial propaganda is being carried out against Rahima Khanam, a UK expatriate daughter of Maulana

Man arrested for rape of 11-year-old daughter in Tangail

Man arrested for rape of 11-year-old daughter in Tangail

News Desk :: The suspect, identified as Mozammel Hossain, a CNG-run autorickshaw driver from Gorai-Sakhipur road, is the son of

Russia removes ‘terrorist’ label from Taliban in strategic shift

Russia removes ‘terrorist’ label from Taliban in strategic shift

News Desk :: In a major policy shift, Russia’s Supreme Court on Thursday officially removed the Taliban from its list